Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ann's Candy Pecans



This pecan recipe is different from the pecans in the salad recipe I posted.  I make these every holiday season but they are great any time.  Buy the pecans in 2 pound bags at Costco.   I am not a nut eater but these gems are sweet, salty and cinnamony (new word!) to perfection.  I break up the pecans a bit so I can nibble a few at a time.  Not so guilt producing.  BTW Ann is a family friend who makes pounds of these for her large family.


 1 t. cold water
1 egg white
1 pound pecan halves
1 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt

1.  Beat water and egg white until frothy.
2.  Mix well with pecans....stir, stir, stir to coat evenly.
3.  Mix sugar, cinnamon and salt. ( I use a gallon baggie)
4.  Add to pecan mixture and stir.  Spread on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
5.  Bake at 225 degrees for 1 hour stir occasionally (about every 15 minutes).
6.  When cool just put into a pretty bowl and leave out.  No need to cover or refrigerate.