Monday, January 23, 2012

Grandma Rieley's Crumb Cake

This is hands down the best crumb cake ever.  I never even met Grandma Riley (she was my friend's grandmother) but I want to keep her name on it.  I use this for strawberry shortcake.
2 c. flour
1 ½ c.sugar
3/4 c. butter, cold
2 t. baking powder
2 eggs
¾ c. milk
1 t. vanilla
cinnamon (optional)
  1. Grease and flour a spring form pan.
  2. Mix the flour, sugar, butter and baking powder with hands or pastry cutter till crumbly.
  3. Take out scant 1/4 c. crumbs and set aside.
  4. Into that bowl add the eggs, ¾ c. milk and vanilla.
  5. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
  6. Pour in prepared pan.
  7. Sprinkle crumbs on top before baking.
  8. I also like to dust with cinnamon very lightly.
  9. Bake at 325° 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.