|Photo by Kay Ercius|
The best thing about this bread is that from measuring the
ingredients to slicing it warm to eat is under 1 hour! Isn't it pretty?
Tastes great too.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 1/2 t. salt
12 ounces beer (1 can or bottle)
1 egg, beaten
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add beer (no sips!) and stir with a fork until just combined.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead quickly to form a ball.
- Place bread on a baking sheet and confidently slit an X on top with a sharp knife (I use a razor blade).
- Brush loaf with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Serve warm or cool on a rack.