Monday, October 5, 2009

Parmesan Cheese Souffle


If you have always wanted to try making a souffle this is the recipe for you.  I like the simplicity of the ingredients and the directions.  I was bursting with cooking pride when I pulled this out of the oven.  Oh yeah...it tastes great too!  I halved it for my husband and I and used a 1 quart dish and it worked fine.

3 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 T. unsalted butter, salted won't change it much
2 cups low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
5 large egg yolks
7 large egg whites
1 t. salt
1/2 t. cayenne
2 T. chopped fresh chives

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Butter a 2 quart souffle dish.  Add 1 cup cheese, tilting dish to cover bottom and sides with cheese.  Shake out any excess.  Set aside in the refrigerator.
  3. Place sour cream in a large mixing bowl.  Sift flour into sour cream.  Whisk sour cream and flour until well combined.
  4. Add egg yolks, one at a time, whisking after each addition.  Stir in salt, cayenne, chives, and remaining 2 cups cheese.
  5. Place egg whites in a very clean, large bowl, preferably copper.  (I didn't use one)  Whisk vigorously until stiff peaks form.  
  6. Gently fold egg whites into sour cream mixture.
  7. Pour the batter into the prepared souffle dish.
  8. Bake until souffle has risen 2-3 inches above the rim and top is golden brown, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  9. Serve immediately or do as I did and take a picture and serve when you want!