Monday, November 21, 2011

Grandma's Bread Stuffing

Lithograph, Home To Thanksgiving, published by...Image via WikipediaThe Thanksgiving Service on the Field of AgincourtImage via Wikipedia


A stuffed turkeyImage via Wikipedia








 

I made this for Thanksgiving for years when the kids were little.  I've moved on to an artichoke heart bread stuffing which is better but this recipe is near and dear to my heart.  
You can see my notes in this picture.
Double the recipe for a large bird.  
1 recipe makes 5 1/2 c. stuffing.

1 1/2 c. diced celery
1 c. chopped onion
3/4 c. butter
8 cups day-old white bread cubes, I use my bead machine to make several loaves the week before, cut into cubes, and dry them in a large white bowl.  My mother would put the cubes in a large white bowl and I can still see her gently tossing the cubes with her hands every so often.
2/3 c. hot chicken broth or water
2 eggs, beaten slightly
1 t. salt
1 T. poultry seasoning or a combination of sage and thyme
1/8 t. black pepper
1 pound browned pork sausage (optional)

  1. Saute celery and onion in butter until tender.  (One of my favorite smells in the world)
  2. While vegetables are cooking, turn bread cubes in a large bowl , moisten with hot liquid and cover bowl.
  3. When the vegetables are tender add them to the bread.
  4.  Stir in eggs and seasonings., tossing lightly.
  5. Stuffing may be baked separately in a casserole for 25 to 30 minutes at 375°.

Enhanced by Zemanta