Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Fresh Green Chili Sauce

I made this to put on top of burritos but they didn't have poblano chilies and I bought a chili I didn't know.  Mistake.  Man was it hot!  We were able to put a tablespoon or two on a taco but that was it.  The flavor was delicious so just make sure to get the mild chilies.

6 fresh medium size Poblano chilies1 jalapeno chili
3 tomatillos, chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper
chopped Cilantro, optional
  1. Roast the chilies.  See techniques for this under "Cooking Techniques" on this blog.
  2. Steam them for 10 minutes in a plastic bag, paper bag or even a damp towel.  This makes peeling easier.
  3. Discard seeds and veins.
  4. Chop coarsley.
  5. Husk the tomatillos and parboil for 3 minutes.  Seed and chop.
  6.  Mix together all ingredients.
  7. I like this smooth so I mix it in a blender.