Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Swedish Pancakes


My Swedish Grandmother’s Recipe for (What Else!)
 Swedish Pancakes


Oh, the wonderful memories I have of eating these little gems.  Top with maple syrup, applesauce or jam.  I, myself, prefer to butter them and then sprinkle with sugar from the sugar bowl.   

2 eggs, beaten
1 ¼ cup milk
½ t. salt
½ t. sugar
1 cup flour
Butter for cooking
  1. Combine the eggs, milk, salt, and sugar.
  2. Whisk in the flour.
  3. Cook in butter.

Bonus Swedish Recipe:

I’ve never actually made this but it’s my Grandmother’s recipe for Swedish Coffee.  I can’t add it to the blog since it’s not an actual ‘Keeper’ but it makes for a interesting recipe.

Swedish Coffee

1 egg, slightly beaten
1 egg shell
20 level tablespoons coffee
10 to 12 cups cold water
10 six ounce coffee cups

  1. Combine egg, egg shell and coffee together in a bowel and mix well.
  2. Put the mixture in the center of a large piece of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen string.
  3. Pour water in to a 10 to 12 cup coffee pot.
  4. Add the coffee bag.  Cover and brew over low heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
  5. Remove coffee bag.
  6. Keep coffee hot over low heat until serving time.