Monday, November 23, 2009

Fresh Tomato Soup

Photo by K. Ercius
 Fresh Tomato Soup

My note on the recipe card states simply “I love this”.  But then, I’m a tomato nut.  Even as a kid I would eat a tomato like an apple after school.  One of my fondest memories as a child was picking a warm beefsteak tomato off the vine in Indiana in my Grandma Sleeth’s garden.  It was so large I had to use two hands.  Low in calories too.

4 cups tomatoes, peeled and blended in a food processor but still a bit chunky
1-10 ¾ ounce can chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried basil, or 2 tablespoons fresh
1 clove fresh garlic, pressed or chopped
¼ cup onion, diced
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon pepper

Sour cream to dollop with
  1. Combine all ingredients except sour cream.
  2. Cook 20 minutes or until onions are transparent.
  3. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream