Friday, September 18, 2009

Crumb Cake



  
 This is similar to a pound cake but much better.  I usually make it for strawberry shortcake but I love it just plain or with chocolate sauce or with anything you can think of!

2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter
2 t. baking powder
2 eggs
3/4 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
  1. Mix the flour, sugar, butter and baking powder in a bowl until crumbly.  I use my hands or a pastry blender.
  2. Take out a scant 1/4 cup of these crumbs and set aside.
  3. Add the 2 eggs, milk and vanilla.
  4. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.  Pour in a greased and floured spring form pan.
  5. Sprinkle crumbs on top before baking.  I also like to dust with cinnamon.
  6. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the middle clean.